Friday, 18 March 2011
By Grace. on 20:04
With artists like Rebecca Black (I don't care if it was a Bob Dylan cover) getting credible air play on our radios, I almost agree with my Dad about the fact that there was nothing greater than his generation. Everything was new and original. People didn't sample the crap out of songs, and when they did, it at least sounded good *take note Black Eyed Peas.
But then I hear people like Ghostpoet, Zoo Kid, Aloe Blacc, MNEK, Bon Iver, OFWGKTA, Anisa, Ellie Goulding, Foals, Laura Marling and Adele and I sit and think 'Are you mental?!'
If music gets better than this I will explode. We're in an era where it's okay to fuse indie and rock influences with rap without being a gangster who 'smacks up his hoes'. It's okay to love music that is chopped and screwed with until it's totally unrecognisable. You don't have to sing. Gil Scott-Heron and Scroobius Pip taught me that.You can mash up as many songs as you want and still call it music. Finally British artists are realising they don't have to put on an American accent. Kanye made it acceptable. Dubstep can be in the charts without sounding too 'mainstream'. Jamie XX can and will work with Drake, and I'm pretty sure Florence already has (see Drake live post).
People have to accept the noughties. They happened. They were mostly crammed with horrible pop bands such as A1 and Aaron Carter (Spice Girls are still legends). Towards the end they were a little less terrible. Foals or White Lies or half the urban music scene would have ever seen the light of day had they never happened. A fair few would miss the face melting bass of Katy On A Mission. After all, good must come from the bad. Especially the really bad.
So maybe the UK and the rest of the music industry in general had a little bad patch. I'm pleased to announce we have entered the Golden Era.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Originally posted on The Agenda Soulection signee, and up-and-coming producer Dpat is a magician. Thus, his conceptions can only b...
-
Kwabs live is nothing short of celestial. He took to the stage and hypnotised eyes were trained on him like we were his faithful congrega...
-
Due to all the hype surrounding it and a little bit of narcissicm I haven't listened to Mirrorwriting nearly as much as I should have. ...
-
You know that thing where you hear a song and become obsessed? You know the odd rhyme that you utter before the song has the chance. You do...
-
"The song drifts into a daydream, complete with beautifully warped drones that wrap around Anderson’s voice. The song is sparse bu...
-
I had the privilege of seeing this talented lady at Wireless last Sunday and while her set was overshadowed by the looming presence of T...
© 2014 Grace Shutti. Powered by Blogger.
Contact
Feel free to drop me an email for submissions to graceshutti@gmail.com

0 comments:
Post a Comment